List:       jedit-devel
Subject:    [ jEdit-devel ] [ jedit-Bugs-475766 ] jEdit is slow when window is maximized
From:       noreply () sourceforge ! net
Date:       2001-10-31 18:27:07

Bugs item #475766, was opened at 2001-10-28 08:37
You can respond by visiting:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100588&aid=475766&group_id=588

Category: None
Group: normal bug

Initial Comment:
I have used jEdit a little bit a few months ago, but
using Windows (it was for work and no Linux boxes). Now
that I'm at school again, I thought I would test out
the latest jEdit, and see how much better it had
gotten. I installed the RPM version on Red Hat Linux
7.1, then fixed the "font not found" errors that came
up. I clicked the "maximize" button (yeah, yeah - it's
a Windows term) to make the window fill the screen, and
then grabbed a bunch of plugins to play with.

After I restarted jEdit, I tried typing (the window
manager remembered the size, so it started out
"maximized"). However, typing was extremely "slow."
That is my best description - the characters appeared
slowly and sporadically. Even the refresh of the window
components seemed slow. By accident, I "un-maximized"
the window - and found that typing worked perfectly again!

Thinking it was the fault of a plug-in, I removed all
of the new plugins one by one, until I was left with
Firewall and Latest Version Check.

Unfortunately, none of the removals made the problem
disappear, so I though it might be in Sun's JVM (I use
JDK 1.3.1_01). So I went to the demo directory of the
JDK installation, and found Sun's Notepad app. Typing
worked just fine with it at both small and large window
sizes.

It appears to me that this might be a bug in the core
editor somewhere that can be fixed - or perhaps it is
just a natural slowdown associated with a Java program
as complex as jEdit (hope not) - or maybe jEdit 4.0
will have this fixed already.

Again, the problem occurs like this:

  Start jEdit in small window
  Typing is going fine
  Maximize jEdit window
  Now everything is slow
  Un-maximize window
  Everything is going fine again.
  Maximize window
  Slows down again

Information about my machine:
Athlon 1000 MHz
512 Mb
Red Hat 7.1
Ximian Gnome 1.4 desktop
XFree 4.0.3 @ 1024x768 resolution
Sun JDK 1.3.1_01 used for JVM
(please email me if you need more info)

I'm sorry if this is a repeat bug - unfortunately, my
darn schoolwork doesn't leave with enough time to pore
over the mailing lists anymore.

Please accept my apologies if this is a repeat bug, and
thank you for reading this long bug report anyway!

Brent Redeker

Finally, here is the activity log that was produced
when performing the above actions (start, maximize,
slows down, etc.):

[message] Log: When reporting bugs, please include the
following information:
[message] Log: java.version=1.3.1_01
[message] Log: java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
[message] Log: java.compiler=null
[message] Log: os.name=Linux
[message] Log: os.version=2.4.12-ac6
[message] Log: os.arch=i386
[message] Log: user.home=/home/brent
[message] Log: java.home=/usr/java/jdk1.3.1_01/jre
[message] Log:
java.class.path=/usr/share/jedit/3.2.2/jedit.jar
[notice] jEdit: jEdit version 3.2.2
[message] jEdit: Settings directory is /home/brent/.jedit
[debug] EditServer: jEdit server started on port 32877
[debug] EditServer: Authorization key is 683117917
[message] jEdit: jEdit home directory is
/usr/share/jedit/3.2.2
[debug] BeanShell: Initializing BeanShell interpreter
[debug] BeanShell: BeanShell interpreter version 1.2b1
[debug] jEdit: Loading actions from actions.xml
[notice] jEdit: Loading plugins from
/usr/share/jedit/3.2.2/jars
[debug] jEdit: Scanning JAR file:
/usr/share/jedit/3.2.2/jars/Firewall.jar
[debug] jEdit: Scanning JAR file:
/usr/share/jedit/3.2.2/jars/LatestVersion.jar
[debug] jEdit: Loading actions from
/usr/share/jedit/3.2.2/jars/LatestVersion.jar!actions.xml
[notice] jEdit: Loading plugins from
/home/brent/.jedit/jars
[message] jEdit: Loading recent file list
/home/brent/.jedit/recent.xml
[message] jEdit: Loading mode catalog file
/usr/share/jedit/3.2.2/modes/catalog
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode ada95
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode asp
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode assembly-r2000
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode assembly-x86
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode awk
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode b
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode batch
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode beanshell
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode bcel
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode c
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode cobol
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode coldfusion
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode c++
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode c#
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode css
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode dsssl
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode eiffel
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode foxpro
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode haskell
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode html
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode idl
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode ini
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode java
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode javascript
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode jhtml
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode jmk
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode jsp
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode lisp
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode makefile
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode ml
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode netrexx
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode objective-c
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode occam
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode omnimark
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode pascal
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode patch
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode perl
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode php
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode pl-sql
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode postscript
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode povray
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode progress
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode properties
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode pvwave
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode python
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode rpm-spec
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode ruby
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode rview
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode scheme
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode sgml
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode shellscript
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode shtml
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode sqr
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode tcl
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode tex
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode texinfo
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode text
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode transact-sql
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode vbscript
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode velocity
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode verilog
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode vhdl
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode xsl
[debug] jEdit: Adding edit mode xml
[message] jEdit: Loading mode catalog file
/home/brent/.jedit/modes/catalog
[debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.MacrosChanged[source=null]
[notice] JARClassLoader: Starting plugin FirewallPlugin
(version 0.2.3)
[debug] FirewallPlugin: Firewall disabled
[notice] JARClassLoader: Starting plugin
LatestVersionPlugin (version 1.3.8)
[debug] FileVFS: Unix operating system detected; will
use permission-preserving code
[debug] FileVFS: File.isHidden() method detected
[debug] VFSManager: Registered favorites filesystem for
favorites protocol
[debug] FileRootsVFS: File.listRoots() detected
[debug] VFSManager: Registered roots filesystem for
roots protocol
[message] BeanShell: Running script
/usr/share/jedit/3.2.2/startup/changeUIFonts.bsh
[debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.PropertiesChanged[source=null]
[debug] FirewallPlugin: Firewall disabled
[notice] jEdit: Loading edit mode
/usr/share/jedit/3.2.2/modes/text.xml
[debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.BufferUpdate[source=Untitled-1
(/home/brent/),what=LOAD_STARTED,view=null]
[debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.BufferUpdate[source=Untitled-1
(/home/brent/),what=LOADED,view=null]
[debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.BufferUpdate[source=Untitled-1
(/home/brent/),what=MARKERS_CHANGED,view=null]
[debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.BufferUpdate[source=Untitled-1
(/home/brent/),what=CREATED,view=null]
[debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.EditorStarted[source=null]
[debug] TextRenderer: Java2D detected; will use new
text rendering code
[debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.EditPaneUpdate[source=org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane[,0,0,0x0,invalid, \
layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,border=,flags=34,maximumS \
ize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=,defaultLayout=java.awt.FlowLayout[hgap=5,vgap=5,align=center]],what=CREATED]
 [debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.ViewUpdate[source=org.gjt.sp.jedit.View[frame0,193,131,678x516,invalid,hidden,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,resizable,title=jEdit

-
Untitled-1,defaultCloseOperation=DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,4 \
,24,658x488,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,bo \
rder=,flags=1538,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true],what=CREATED]
 [debug] WorkThread: Work request thread starting [jEdit
I/O #1]
[debug] WorkThread: Work request thread starting [jEdit
I/O #2]
[debug] WorkThread: Work request thread starting [jEdit
I/O #3]
[debug] WorkThread: Work request thread starting [jEdit
I/O #4]
[message] jEdit: Startup complete
[debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.BufferUpdate[source=Untitled-1
(/home/brent/),what=DIRTY_CHANGED,view=null]
[debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.EditorExitRequested[source=org.gjt.sp.jedit.View[frame0,193,131,682x516,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,resizable,title=jEdit

-
Untitled-1,defaultCloseOperation=DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,6 \
,22,670x488,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,bo \
rder=,flags=3586,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true]]
 [debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.BufferUpdate[source=Untitled-1
(/home/brent/),what=CLOSED,view=org.gjt.sp.jedit.View[frame0,193,131,682x516,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,resizable,title=jEdit

-
Untitled-1,defaultCloseOperation=DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,6 \
,22,670x488,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,bo \
rder=,flags=3586,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true]]
 [debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.BufferUpdate[source=Untitled-1
(/home/brent/),what=LOAD_STARTED,view=org.gjt.sp.jedit.View[frame0,193,131,682x516,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,resizable,title=jEdit

-
Untitled-1,defaultCloseOperation=DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,6 \
,22,670x488,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,bo \
rder=,flags=3586,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true]]
 [debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.BufferUpdate[source=Untitled-1
(/home/brent/),what=LOADED,view=org.gjt.sp.jedit.View[frame0,193,131,682x516,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,resizable,title=jEdit

-
Untitled-1,defaultCloseOperation=DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,6 \
,22,670x488,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,bo \
rder=,flags=3586,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true]]
 [debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.BufferUpdate[source=Untitled-1
(/home/brent/),what=MARKERS_CHANGED,view=org.gjt.sp.jedit.View[frame0,193,131,682x516,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,resizable,title=jEdit

-
Untitled-1,defaultCloseOperation=DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,6 \
,22,670x488,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,bo \
rder=,flags=3586,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true]]
 [debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.BufferUpdate[source=Untitled-1
(/home/brent/),what=CREATED,view=org.gjt.sp.jedit.View[frame0,193,131,682x516,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,resizable,title=jEdit

-
Untitled-1,defaultCloseOperation=DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,6 \
,22,670x488,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,bo \
rder=,flags=3586,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true]]
 [debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.EditPaneUpdate[source=org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane[,0,0,670x391,inva \
lid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,border=,flags=34,maxi \
mumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=,defaultLayout=java.awt.FlowLayout[hgap=5,vgap=5,align=center]],what=BUFFER_CHANGED]
 [debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.EditPaneUpdate[source=org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane[,0,0,670x391,inva \
lid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,border=,flags=34,maxi \
mumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=,defaultLayout=java.awt.FlowLayout[hgap=5,vgap=5,align=center]],what=DESTROYED]
 [debug] EditBus:
org.gjt.sp.jedit.msg.EditorExiting[source=null]

Comment By: Brent Redeker (berhr)