List:       jboss-user
Subject:    [jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Summary of My Impressions at
From:       Brian Fitzpatrick <do-not-reply () jboss ! com>
Date:       2010-03-31 19:32:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Brian Fitzpatrick [http://community.jboss.org/people/bfitzpat] created the document:

"Summary of My Impressions at EclipseCon 2010"

To view the document, visit: http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-15091

h2. Fitz's Impressions of EclipseCon 2010

First of all, I have to say that Oisin Hurley and Don Smith did a great job of \
organizing the conference. Though there was overall lower attendance than in previous \
years, the quality of the talks was higher and the number of people at each talk was \
significantly higher. As with all EclipseCons (this is my fourth EclipseCon and some \
years have been hit/miss), it's as much about the social aspects as the talks. And \
this year was no different.

That said, I attended a number of talks:

h3. WTP Uncovered: All You Need to Know About Building Applications With WTP

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1233 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1233

This presentation went way too fast for me and the presenters were a little less than \
organized, but if you go to the file link after the talk description above, you're \
able to download the slides and a working project that implements a RSS feed from a \
simple application. I plan on playing with this as time allows.

h3. Lions, Tigers, and Bears: Scrum, XP, and Continuous Integration at Eclipse

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1079 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1079

Dave Carver, one of the stronger and more vocal voices in the Eclipse community, \
presented some of his ideas and experiences around using Agile methods with Eclipse \
projects. (His slides are downloadable from the link above.)

Ultimately it all boils down to continuous communication as much as continuous \
integration. Communication with your developers, your users, and your community. He \
recommends integrating tools such as FindBugs and ECLEmma into the build process \
alongside simple test pass/fail results after running JUnit test suites.

Definitely check out his slides though, as he goes into some detail about the Agile \
Manifesto and how to make it work at Eclipse as well as Software Craftsmanship and \
making your code better.

h3. SOA at REST (John Graham's talk)

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1471 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1471

John's talk was interesting, as it discussed SOA and REST at a very high level \
instead of delving into any sort of best practices or code demo. Basically it boils \
down to using the simpler Internet Design Pattern of REST, with its gets and puts, \
for state workflow in SOA applications. To get his slides, look here:  \
https://docspace.corp.redhat.com/docs/DOC-36528 \
https://docspace.corp.redhat.com/docs/DOC-36528

h3. KeyNote: Community and Adaptation

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1601 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1601

Jeet Kaul from Sun/Oracle and Steve Harris from Oracle did this keynote together to \
discuss the state of Java and Oracle post-merger. The main focus was on JEE 6, with \
some juicy tidbits about JDK 7's OSGi support under the covers and some of the JavaFX \
work that's going on. I think it will be interesting to see how Java changes under \
Oracle's mandates, but they're certainly putting effort into keeping the developer \
communities alive for Java.

h3. Eclipse, Eclipse, Everywhere

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1250 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1250

This talk focused on making sure developers and managers know about possible pitfalls \
when integrating with open source technologies and code. The danger of copied code \
from Google coming back to haunt a company later is certainly a good one to bring up. \
They mentioned a tool they used called Black Duck that searches their code repository \
for copied code and possible license issues, which is probably a good idea in any \
company to protect their intellectual property.

h3. A world-class Linux IDE: how do we get there from here?

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1203 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1203

Andrew Overholt, Dominique Toupin, and Doug Schaefer spoke passionately about the \
future of the Linux IDE. Like in many places in Eclipse, the Linux tooling could use \
some help here and there to simplify the job of the developer. It will be interesting \
to see how Linux tools development matures over the next few years.

h3. Graphiti - The Graphical Tooling Infrastructure Speaking Plain Java

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1306 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1306

Graphiti is a new Eclipse project proposal coming out of SourceForge that is supposed \
to simplify graphical editor development on the Eclipse platform. Simpler than GMF, \
but seems to do many of the same things. It takes an incoming EMF ecore model and \
uses GEF/Draw2D code to speed development for model-based UIs.

h3. Towards Contributors Heaven: from CVS and SVN to EGit/JGit

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1219 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1219

Git is one of those terms that's been thrown around a lot over the last year and a \
half at Eclipse. And not always in a good way. Though now it seems that has changed. \
The EGit/JGit movement at Eclipse has been swift and I think once the tooling matures \
a bit, I think it could be the wave of the future.

CVS/SVN require network connectivity in order to do anything with the repository. \
With Git you end up with a local copy of the entire repository, which means you can \
work disconnected and then upload changes and sync up with the main repo down the \
line.

In addition, the use of Gerritt for code reviews will be interesting, especially with \
the MylynReviews project coming up to speed. I think if we can do more with our \
source code control system AND handle a more structured method for code reviews, we'd \
be able to tow the line a bit better.

h3. Keynote: Rocket Science and the Republic

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1600 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1600

All I can say after this keynote from Dr. Jeff Norris of the NASA/JPL lab is... wow. \
It takes hundreds and thousands of people working diligently to create complex \
constructs. And though one programmer can't do everything necessary to design and \
control robots they're sending to the Moon and Mars, it takes everyone working \
together in their own areas of expertise and leveraging that expertise to get the job \
done. Amazing talk and I look forward to seeing what the next few NASA robot projects \
discover.

h3. Eclipse UI Test Automation with SWTBot

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1258 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1258

With a lot of focus internally on designing SWTBot tests at RH/JB, I thought it would \
be good to get more information about how to use the tool myself. The tutorial helped \
get my head around what SWTBot can do (test most of SWT, but has issues with the \
Forms toolkit and GEF editors) and I was able to write tests fairly quickly. It is a \
manual process, but it's not as bad as some UI test tools I've used in the past.

The PDF of the slides includes some good step-by-step tutorial bits on how to get set \
up and started with SWTBot, and I'll be trying it in some of our tools as time \
allows. I'd be especially interested in developing some use-case-based tests to test \
our tools from start to finish through a development process.

h3. Java EE 6, application development, OSGi, and Eclipse Users

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1226 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1226

This was a great talk, but unfortunately a good portion of it flew over my head. (I \
think my brain was already full by this point.) But I want to grab the slides and \
figure out what I missed.

h3. Eclipse Swordfish Reloaded

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1181 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1181

The STP project is no more and the SOA top-level-project will now take its place, \
merging SOA Tools and Runtimes together. In addition, there's a new SOA Industry \
Working Group, so it's nice to see there's some movement in this space at Eclipse.

Swordfish is an ESB runtime in Eclipse that looks interesting. Need to look into it \
further.

h3. The Future of Open Source (Panel)

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1563 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1563

What happens when you get four high-level open source folks on a panel led by Mike \
Miliknovich? You have some disagreements. This panel included: Justin, President of \
the Apache Software Foundation; Martin, CEO of Eucalyptus and ex-CEO of MySQL; Steven \
from Redmonk; and Jason from Apache/Sonatype. Mike asked several questions and I \
didn't get much out of it beyond "Open source fails at polish and 'pretty'". We \
already knew that and are working to improve it in our own tools.  :)

h3. Keynote: Software Professionalism and the Art of Saying "No"

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1588 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1588

"Uncle Bob" Martin provided an entertaining talk about what "professionalism" means \
in software development. It all boils down to responsibility.

What did I take away from this talk?
- "Do no harm to the program's functionality" means reducing bugs to zero and taking \
                responsibility when things do break
- TDD proves the absurdity of a QA group. QA should be redefined to set the quality \
                criteria, not clean up our messes
- manual tests are desperately expensive
- try for 100% code coverage, though it's impossible to achieve
- If a project can't be done with current time/resources, say so. Take a stand for \
                quality work. "Hope is the project killer" - don't say "We'll try."
- short iterations kill hope and inject reality
- short cycles allow us to fail frequently and give managers real data
- "The things you do under pure stress are your true disciplines." - Have to be able \
                to say no to yourself and hold to your ideals & disciplines
- Say no to overtime - can only do what you can do
- Say no to meetings - meetings prevent progress
- Make your argument emphatically and work with management to achieve quality results

h3. Understanding and Using Git at Eclipse

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1220 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1220

Like the earlier Git talk, this tutorial just reinforced that Git isn't quite baked \
yet as far as functionality or UI in Eclipse. It's getting there. Give it 6 months or \
a year and they'll be 90% there. And I think we'll be using it into the future.

h3. Mylyn Reviews: Finding a new Home for ReviewClipse

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1400 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1400

Mylyn Reviews used to be the ReviewClipse project on SourceForge. The idea of merging \
the code review process into Eclipse is a great one. And I think by integrating with \
Mylyn's task-centric views, this will be a boon to us to use at RH/JB in our \
processes. Currently in incubator at Mylyn, but will graduate after Helios(?).

h3. Integration of BPEL with OSGi for an effective SOA Solution

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1087 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1087

Uses the BPEL editor code we do, but injects some OSGi specific orchestration \
abilities. Creation review next week (April 7, 2010). Code currently at spagic.org. \
Slides are available in the talk link.

h3. Eclipse SOA TLP: Lock, Stock, and Barrel

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1180 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1180

This is the new SOA top level project merging STP (SOA Tools) with runtimes in once \
place. Included are Swordfish, SOA Tools, eBPM, JWT, Mangrove, Governance, and \
Management tools/runtimes. We really need to see if RH/JB SOA can work with this \
functionality. Slides available at SlideShare.net, but don't seem to be downloadable.

h3. Other Talks

Beyond the talks that I attended, I also participated in a few talks/panels/BoFs. \
I've added slides where I can.

h4. Eclipse Community Project Spotlight

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1611 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1611

h4. Distributed Teams and Eclipse
 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1156
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1156

h4. DTP in the Real World

 http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1157 \
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1157

h4. DTP BoF Session

We actually had three non-PMC members attend our DTP BoF this year! Shengxoe from \
Oracle and Ray & Chris from Ingres dropped by and we had a lively discussion about \
the state of DTP and how we really need help from the community to stay alive. We \
were very encouraged by their interest in helping out by prioritizing bugs and \
creating patches wherever possible. We have a lot of work to do (huge bug backlog) \
and very few folks to do it.

Comment by going to Community
[http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-15091]

Create a new document in JBoss Tools at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=102&containerType=14&container=2128]