List:       jboss-user
Subject:    [jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: FlushModeType not working in Seam
From:       kotlusa <do-not-reply () jboss ! com>
Date:       2007-09-30 23:55:28

You were absolutely correct.  I didn't catch that the SMPC was actually a Seam \
Component and need to be retrieved with @In rather than @PersistenceContext.

After making this change I have learned several things and found one that I believe \
to be a bug.

SMPC's only manage entity beans for the life of the conversation.  This is an \
important distinction between an SMPC and a persistence context obtained with \
@PersistenceContext(type=PersistenceContextType.EXTENDED).

All this is fine but I still am having difficulty realizing the promise of atomic \
conversations.

Merge and remove operations both get queued and executed when I flush.  \
Unfortunately, persist operations do not act this way.

I created a sample application with a conversation that begins on a page that lists \
the users in the database.  A nested conversation begins when you edit a user in the \
list.  On the edit page, the user is updated (merge), another entity is delete \
(remove), and a third entity is created (persist).  Clicking Next brings you to a \
confirmation screen where you can either go back (and do another merge, remove, and \
persist), Submit (flush, end the conversation, and return to the list), or Cancel (no \
flush, end the conversation, and return to the list).

In this example, all merges and removes are queued until flush is called (when user \
clicks Submit on the confirmation screen) but all persists happen right away \
regardless of submitting/canceling.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again,
Austin