List:       jboss-user
Subject:    [JBoss-user] [EJB/JBoss] - Re: OutOfMemoryError - Singleton PK Generator
From:       john_anderson_ii <nukes () jboss ! org>
Date:       2004-06-30 19:19:50

All in all, this looks like a much better method of doing things, and it will help me \
keep to my goal of 100% CMP.  Plus, if it persisted it's last number used, as long as \
the next number didn't exist response time would still be fast, given this scenario:

This code represents the ID column of the TICKET table after several closed tickets \
have been purged off:

  | 1
  | 2
  | 3
  | 5
  | 6
  | 7
  | 21
  | 22

When first deployed, the first ticket would have a longer response time than the \
second because the bean would have to query by primary key for 1, 2, 3, and 4 before \
it found four open.  On the next request for a number it would have to query 5, 6 and \
7 before it found 8 open.  The subsequent requests up to 20 would be fast because all \
those slots are open.  Then once lastUsedNumber reaches 23, it's wide open for new \
ticket numbers.

How would this design handle simultaneous requests?  I tested the singleton design \
and I was unable to get duplicate keys so I'm reasonably sure the singleton bean \
blocked requests until it could complete them sequentially.

View the original post : \
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3840508#3840508

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3840508