List:       jboss-user
Subject:    Re: [JBoss-user] basic clustering question
From:       "Brian McSweeney" <brian.mcsweeney () aurium ! net>
Date:       2003-01-31 11:06:02

thanks Jon,

> The "router" is a proxy running on the client side, and each time you
> communicate with one of your beans, the client  execute code that
> decides which server to ask.  Every time the cluster discovers that
> the cluster configuration changes, the client proxy is updated
> (whenever communication is done).

this makes sense if the client is a heavyweight app (say swing). But
if the client is the web tier and the app is basically an internet site,
then
the ultimate client is a web browser. Now, you could have the "proxy"
being the code in the web tier - ie, a servlet, which could pick which of
the ejb tiers to hit, as you say.

However I would have thought it would be better to let this proxy be a
little hardware device that just selects which of the boxes to hit, and then
each box could run both the web and ejb tiers and make each web tier
distributable. What do yo think?
Brian