List:       jboss-development
Subject:    [JBoss-dev] [JBossWeb] - web.xml Parsing Problem
From:       tfreeburg <nukes () jboss ! org>
Date:       2004-06-30 15:28:20

I have a web application that gives the following error when I deploy it to JBOSS \
versions 3.2.4, 3.2.5, and 4.0.

09:15:23,613 ERROR [ContextConfig] Parse error in application web.xml
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid <url-pattern> /pages/*.jsp in security \
constraint  at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:2540)
  at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:2566)
	at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.endElement(Digester.java:1061)
	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.endNamespaceScope(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.handleEndElement(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.endElement(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(Unknown \
Source)  at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown \
Source)  at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown \
Source)  at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.applicationConfig(ContextConfig.java:263)

Here is the <security-constraint> section of the web.xml:

        <security-constraint>
            <display-name>
                                     Restrict access to JSP pages</display-name>
              <web-resource-collection>
        	<web-resource-name>
		Restrict access to JSP pages
                </web-resource-name>
                This security constraint illustrates how JSP
                 pages with JavaServer Faces components can be protected from being \
accessed without going through the Faces Servlet. The security constraint ensures \
that the Faces Servlet will be used or the pages will not be processed.  \
<url-pattern>/pages/*.jsp</url-pattern>	    	  </web-resource-collection>
              <auth-constraint>
	 With no roles defined, no access granted
              </auth-constraint>
    </security-constraint>

I have deployed the same web application in a a fresh installation of TomCat 4.1.30 \
and I do not get the error. The JBOSS environments that I have deployed it in are \
unmodified as well.

If I change the url-pattern to '/pages/*' I do not get the parsing problem, but I \
only want to restrict jsp access.

Any clues?

Thanks.

View the original post : \