List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    Re: This BS [presentation's] for you
From:       Chris de Vidal <cdevidal () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-31 1:13:36

> So what's everyone think?  Kinda a "high-level"
> intro, but I'll have
> some specifics and good diagrams in there as well.

Sounds super!  Things I'd like to see covered (high
level is fine):

* Office replacements (perhaps featuring the new
StarOffice 6?)
* Windows 2000 Active Directory vs. UNIX/Linux boxes
with LDAP, Samba, NFS, DNS, LDAP, NIS, and Kerberos
* FTP and HTTP servers (for those IIS bigots)
* Squid vs. MS Proxy
* Open-source VPN solutions vs. Microsoft VPN

Again, high-level is fine, but I'd really enjoy seeing
how those things can be set up to blow away anything
Redmond can produce, especially Active Directory.*

* Not that I have anything against AD; It looks like a
great product, but people tend to think they
"invented" the idea.  Heck, it looks more like
Novell's NDS than anything UNIX/Linux has.  They even
share many of the same names... OU, NTDS (such a
rip-off of NDS it isn't funny), trees, forests, I
could go on but I won't.

Oops, I went on a tangent!  Mayday!  Mayday!  This
could start too much ramblings!  We need to get back
to the subject!  ::steering the thread back to the
subject::

Thanks for volunteering, B.

CD

(Whew, saved it!)