List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    Re: VALinux - HP - SAMBA printing
From:       "Keith Burres,,," <kburres () valinux ! com>
Date:       2001-07-24 14:04:44

There are 2 peices to the puzzle we have been working on Linux Printing
and Samba printing.

For the linux Printing go to the HP.sourceforge.net stuff.  This
included 3 major pieces - a hacked printttool which does autodetect on
the wire or parallel port,  a hacked LPR which does some fancy PPD
parsing , and then GPR which is a GUI based dialog box for accessing
printer specific capabilites like stapling, duplexing.  Currently it is
only tested on the 2.2 kernel distros.  Later this week we should
announce some additional functionlity in that the products will support
non-postscript printers using the foomatic ppd's (linuxprinting.org).
and we are rolling as many 2.4 kernels as fast as we can.

On the Samba front the focus has been more on providing point and print
capabilities like what is present in NT.  Windows client wants to print
to new printer, needs driver, tells server, server gives driver to
windows client.  We have also created a way for Sysadmins to go get the
windows drivers (for HP printers today) through the use of Imprints
(imprints.sourceforge.net).  Handy sys admin tool for retrieving windows
drivers from imprints.samba.org.  Must be using Samba 2.2.

I hope that helps a little bit.  We're doing some other development but
it's not ready for the light of day yet.  Give this a try and let me
know what you think.