List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    [JaxLUG] Linux install/command line whoas . . . and other errata
From:       Jeff Bostick <jbostick () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       1999-09-23 11:35:04

Hey guys, I thought we needed to start a new thread from some of the responses
that have been coming.  Just to throw in my $.02 worth, for starters, when I
installed SuSE 5.3 it took me about two weeks of reading the manual and mapping
out what the install procedure would be like before I got up the courage to do
it.  I had to do the typical reinstall about 5 - 6 times before I got it right.
 As for connecting to the internet, I took the "sissy's" way out and
config'd kppp.  Although SuSE is not the easiest package to install, I believe
that the routine is not overly difficult.  For packages just pick the default.
This saves you from going thru the process of picking the software separatly.
I guess the point I'm making here is choose the easiest route on the first
install (you can change things later with YaST - assuming you're using SuSE)
and plan ahead.  As far as command line structure is concerned, I would
recommend getting "Learning the bash Shell" put out by O'reilly.  So far I've
found it to be comprehensive and readable.

--
Jeff Bostick