List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    Re: University Reccomendations
From:       Andrew Henderson <hendersa () icculus ! org>
Date:       2012-04-27 18:20:43

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012, Tim Holloway wrote:

> They don't do that so that they can helpfully extract out pertinent
> information so you don't have to fill it all in manually on the formal
> job application. They do it so that automated text-scanning software can
> cherry-pick it for "magic words".

FYI, I was informed by a recruiter from Boeing years ago that the best way
to get noticed in their online job system is to completely copy and paste
the full description of the job posting after your resume (either in the
same document as the resume or in the same free-form text field on the
web form) with the statement "This resume is being submitted in reference
to the following job position:" sandwiched between your resume and the job
description.  Suddenly, you're the perfect candidate.

I have used this technique ever since when submitting to automated online
job applications, and it has worked very well.  Many times, though, my
submissions are for very specific positions and the job postings are being
posted by headhunting firms contracted by the company to find candidates.

I was told by one headhunter that she found this approach "humorous, but
probably pretty effective".

Andrew