List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    Re: University Recomendations
From:       Robert Nunley <ra.nunley () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-04-23 18:07:39

     I have been reading this discussion and would like to share my opinion
to any who may be interested.  As a short back-story, I was a grunt in the
United States Marine Corps.  I had played around with computers in my
youth, but nothing that amounted to anything serious. Roughly 3 years ago,
I began attending FSCJ and in my second semester decided to pursue the
networking services AS degree.
     At first, I wasn't sure how much I would really learn from a community
college or how much value the degree would have.  To clarify, FSCJ is not a
community college anymore, hence the 'S', but is a state college that
offers bachelor level programs.  Second, while I can't vouch for all of the
instructors, the professors at the Advanced Technology Center, downtown,
are first-rate.  For example, Dr. Walter Eaton serves as CIO for the city
of Jacksonville for a number of years and worked for several years doing
data forensics and has two books published by Syngress on sniffers.  I have
had the tremendous pleasure of studying intrusion detection systems, data
forensics, wireshark network traffic analysis, and computer hacking under
him and have learned a great deal.  Additionally, networking classes range
from Cisco 1-4 for the CCNA track, 5-7 for the CCNP track, Cisco Voice,
Cisco Security, and Cisco Certified Design Architect, as well as others.
     Currently,  I am enrolled in the BAS program in Networking and
Telecommunications. I had considered transferring to UF for my Bachelor's,
but the course content is great and the professors are true professionals.
Tuition is inexpensive compared to private universities or out-of-state
colleges and, I believe, is a value for what the student is able to learn.
There are TONS of routers, switches, etc and the students get a lot of
hands-on lab time.
     If you want more information, email net@fscj.edu and you can schedule
an individual tour of the facilities.  To see courses and degree programs
offered, visit www.fscj.edu.
     Thank you for your time.  I hope that I have been helpful and wish you
success in any endeavour you undertake.

Robert Nunley