List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    RE: Top 30 UNIX command Interview Questions asked in Investment
From:       "Martin, Patrick " <patrick.martin () citi ! com>
Date:       2011-05-17 16:44:18

When I first came to Jacksonville I had to pass the consulting company's "Unix Exam". \
The interviewer said, "I'll just give it to you over the phone instead of having you \
come in.  Out of hundreds of candidates, only 1 guy  so far has ever scored perfect \
on it."

Up through 45 questions that were ridiculously basic, I had a perfect score.  I was \
fairly salivating at being the 2nd perfect score when he asks me:

"What's the "In" command do?"

I was stumped, hmm...."In", I then said, "I have never heard of it, I don't know..".

He says "It creates links between files.  That's the first one you've gotten wrong."

I say back: "You mean the "ln" or link command?  It creates symbolic or hard links \
between files."

He says: "Yeah, I guess that is an "l" not an "I".

I reply: "Did I get that wrong or right?"

He says: "You got it wrong, but you're doing pretty good, don't worry about it..."

Seriously???  HR should not conduct technical interviews, period.

- Pat