List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    Re: U-Verse was -> Stupid openwrt...
From:       "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt () obsidian-studios ! com>
Date:       2011-05-14 20:54:37

On Sat, 2011-05-14 at 16:47 -0400, Paul Spicer wrote:
> I originally went with the 3mb plan because it was cheaper than the regular
> AT&T DSL service I had.

Yes and not sure if they will continue to install DSL in new locations.
I guess maybe in areas where U-Verse nodes have not be installed, thus
no U-Verse service.

>  And faster. However, I was told I could get the 12mb
> promotion (which is cheaper than the 3mb) for the next 12 months and I could
> switch back to the 3mb at the end of the trial with no fee or anything, so
> that's what I'm running at right now.

At&t did take a page from Comcast's play book, which Comcast has since
reversed it seems. At&t's U-Verse is contract free, even for promotional
rates. Comcast seems to now require contracts for promotional rates. But
most Comcast service does not require any contract. I personal really
dislike contracts for a variety of reasons.

But At&t is very flexible, you can switch plans at any time. Taking
maximum advantage of any specials or discounts at that time. When you
switch if there are others, you still qualify for that. Its a pretty
good deal all around, and rather customer service friendly :)

>  I get some nice down speeds, but I have to agree with you that the up
> speed is rather lackluster compared to Comcast. (I get about 1mb up
> whereas my folk's get almost 5mb up on their cable.)

Yes in this area, unfortunately nothing compares to the speed of
Comcast's Cable Internet services.

> But it works well enough for what I want it for. Plus, I can remote desktop
> to my home boxes and it isn't a slideshow! :D

I am still trying to see if I could live with the U-Verse speeds. But
for the minor amount of savings, likely best to just remain with
Comcast. Though not really a fan of Comcast these days for many reasons,
having been a customer for over 8yrs. But then again At&t did not
impress me at all when I first moved to Jax and got Business ADSL
service from them. Which I got better speeds when I switched to Covads
ADSL. But eventually went to Cable and haven't looked back since, till
recently. ;)

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Obsidian-Studios, Inc.