List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    [JaxLUG] nvidia nForce2 sound driver issues updated ticket
From:       Stephen Proffitt <peanut3891 () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-01-24 18:35:20

Hello to all who read this.  My name is Stephen and I live in
Middleburg.  I'm new to the Jax LUG but I was active in the forums and
meetings in the Pensacola LUG.  I just downloaded and installed Mandrake
10.1 and was trying to get all the drivers for my video, network, and
sound cards installed, but every time X starts, I get an error message
saying that the arts server failed.  This is my modprobe.conf file:

# This file is autogenerated from /etc/modules.conf using
generate-modprobe.conf command

# alias eth0 forcedeth
# alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe
--first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ohci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe
ehci-hcd; /bin/true
alias eth0 nvnet
alias eth1 8139too
alias char-major-195* nvidia
alias sound-slot-0 nvsound

I'm running the 2.6.8.1-12mdk kernel with KDE 3.2.  The ONLY way I can
hear sound is with Kaffeine Media Player.  Any changes from the default
conf file are exactly the way nVidia stated.  Any suggestions?

When I was playing with settings in KDE Control Center, I enabled the arts system, and I got this error:

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Cannot allocate memory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.