List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    [JaxLUG] Re: Burning DVD question -- DVDRecord does not support Sony
From:       "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith () ieee ! org>
Date:       2004-04-29 9:42:18

Howard Roberts wrote:
> I runnig Fedora Core1 and just recently bought a Sony ide/ATAPI
> DVD-RW, but am having trouble making it work.   ... cut ...
> dvdrecord -dao speed=4 dev=0,1,0 myimage.img
> with the following results:
> dvdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
>    ... cut ...

_All_ of Sony's DVD+R/RW drives, even the ones that also write DVD-R/RW,
are _not_ supported by DVDRecord.  Only Pioneer DVD-R/RW drives are.

There are a couple of different ways you can support DVD-R writing
on DVD+/RW drive that also does DVD-R/RW.  The most straightforward
way is to grab one of the latest CDRecord-ProDVD 2.01"alpha" releases.
ProDVD is not free, but free for non-commercial use.  You'll need to
install a "license key" as a shell variable (see "cdrecord-wrapper.sh)
so it will work (and not kick out during the countdown).

  ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/

If you search LEAP's mailing lists, you'll see I've written extensively
on the two ways to write -- record (DVD-R and DVD+R) and rewrite
(DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD+R) -- and the various support under Linux for
each format, with various tools.  DVD+R/RW is the _least_supported_ of
the three major drive types.  DVD+R is also less compatible than DVD-R,
and DVD+R/RW drives have varying DVD-R/RW support (even if they claim
otherwise).

> Obviously, this is img is not a proper DVD file structure

I doesn't matter if it is or not, it will still record the bytes, even
if it cannot be read.

You're getting errors because DVDRecord does not support your Sony
DVD+R/RW drive, even though it also does DVD-R/RW.  It's still a Sony
firmware in the drive, and DVDRecord does not know how to deal with it.
The IDE-SCSI emulation doesn't do anything other than setup a "generic
SCSI" device (/dev/sg), and the "byte-by-byte recording" software must
know how to record to the drive for it to work.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org