List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    [JaxLUG] Re: Solaris 2 (SunOS 5) and Sun -- heck, the gzip site still says
From:       "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith () ieee ! org>
Date:       2004-04-21 16:44:21

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 12:37, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> As such, Solaris 8 and earlier have gzip 1.2.x (1.2.4 specifically in
> Solaris 7 and 8).  It should be noted that Linux distros of the same
> period do as well, and have the _same_ limitation.
> So _unlike_ Linux at the time, you _could_ do something on Solaris like
> this to get around the issue:
>   cat file.gz | gzip -cd > file

Heck, it still talks about this on the official gzip site:
  http://www.gzip.org/

gzip 1.2.4 is _still_ the official release, 2GB limitations and all.

Guy, no offense, but:
1)  Don't start slamming Sun for issues Linux _also_ has, and
2)  Don't switch from one utility to another, when there are different
    variables involved

Now if you want to talk about "tar" again, I'm more than willing.  But I
think the list is sick of at least my babbling on this topic.  Let's
just take it off-list, okay?

-- Bryan "waiting for you to now claim Solaris 9 is shipping with
'beta-quality software' because it has gzip 1.3.x" Smith

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org