List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    RE: [JaxLUG] Dual Opteron Servers -- Opteron "server" != Opteron "desktop"
From:       "Tiseo, Paul" <tiseo.paul () mayo ! edu>
Date:       2004-04-21 15:26:18

From: jaxlug-list-admin@jaxlug.org [mailto:jaxlug-list-admin@jaxlug.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 6:50 PM
> Tiseo, Paul wrote:
> > have that much time. I find too many places seem to think they can
> > overcharge you because you are asking for a server rather than a
> > desktop. Thanks.
>
> Maybe that's because an Opteron "server" != an Opteron "desktop."
> As such, you'll be paying $1K+ more for the added mainboard
> costs, extra memory DIMMs and proper I/O configuration.

Yes, I am *well* aware of that. I have built multiple systems in my life at
various market levels. I know why server systems are generally more
expensive than desktop systems.

That comment that you latched on to was about how systems that are sold for
"enterprise computing" are often overpriced because they target business
pockets, rather than personal pockets. When I look at how much I can build a
desktop system for what Dell prices, sometimes there is little difference
percentage-wise. But, when I look at how much difference there is between a
large vendor's entry- or mid-level server (of course, not the proprietary,
large-scale systems), and what my cost is, for *the same quality parts*,
there is often a large discrepancy. It seems vendors think that because I am
coming from a business perspective, I have looser pockets!

Don't talk to me about the cost of support. Large vendors nowadays often
have horrible support that I cannot count on. I can often do better on my
own in many of the typical problem cases.

What I am looking for is a company that will sell me a server for similar
margins that they sell a desktop. It might be a pipe dream, but I thought
I'd ask... :)