List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    Re: [JaxLUG] Partitioning/Formatting newbie question.
From:       Tim Holloway <timh () mousetech ! com>
Date:       2003-10-30 0:43:16

RedHat 7x did a HORRIBLE partitioning job, especially if you select the
server install option. One of its worst offenses was creating a systme
where /tmp was in a partition way too small.

Here's a little background: Among the many kludgy things that the IBM
PC/MS-DOS architecture foisted on an unwary works was a partitioning
scheme that had to be shoehorned into backwards compatability with more
limited editions. Remember the 30MB, 520MB, 4GB, 80GB disk size hacks?
Them sort of things.

Anyway, the master disk partition table only has room for 4 partitions.
So they hacked them into secondary partitions where the primary
partition record pointed to a secondary partition record. Linux shows
secondary partitions bay numbering them starting with 5. Thus,
/dev/hda5 is the first secondary partition (or /dev/sda5 for SCSI).

fdisk can print the partition assignments using the "p" command. fdisk
actually manipulates copies of the partition entries in RAM, so you
delete and redefine partitions until you're blue in the face with no
harm done to the disk. However, be sure (do one last "p") before you
"w" (write) that you've got what you want, because "w" will write
whatever arrangements you've got out to the actual partition tables and
quit fdisk. And when it writes out the new definitions, the old
partition maps are effectively destroyed.

You don't REALLY *have* to reboot after doing an fdisk. Though if
you've redefined partitions containing files that you or the OS are
going to be using (the kernel and modules already loaded don't count),
I won't vouch for the results. But that's because you've effectively
trashed their filesystems anyway.

A lot of people prefer alternatives to fdisk, especially cfdisk. I'm
not as fluent in them, however, so I end up falling back to what I
know. Disk Druid, alas, is, as far as I can tell, the ONE RedHat app
that doesn't become an installed part of your OS, and is only available
when doing an install. :(

   Tim

GPG public key:

http://www.mousetech.com/gpgkey-timh.txt