List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    [JaxLUG] MAKE IT STOP
From:       Chris de Vidal <cdevidal () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-09-30 19:31:08

I'm Chris de Vidal, member of the Jacksonville Linux User Group
(JaxLUG.org).  I'm writing to ask you to bring your RV, your
hard-core engineers,  your non-perishable cheese and pork products,
and even your infrequent hygene to our LUG as part of the Make It
Stop contest and say, "Hello Jacksonville!  Rock 'n Roll!!"

Our LUG is a large promoter of RedHat software, not by concious
choice but by nature.  We install RedHat almost exclusively at our
InstallFests and most of our ~150 members use RedHat more often than
any other distro (based on an informal show of hands at our last
meeting).  We help troubleshoot RedHat issues, give help on
installing and building RPMs, and even have a member of your staff as
a member.

Our LUG isn't _all_ about RedHat; we actually have a wide mix of
distros represented, even non-Linux *BSDs.  We just happen to
gravitate toward RedHat, probably because of the large degree of
software already written to work well with it, which makes community
support easier, or perhaps because of the effort that RedHat has made
to use free(dom, beer) software.  I personally use RedHat 7.x for the
Samba, web, Mac, SQL, Squid, and backup servers at work, as well as
for my workstation.  I am looking forward to trying 8.0, as well as
helping newbies install it at our next InstallFest.

Hope to see you and your road-weary engineers in _usually_ sunny
Jacksonville, FL!

CD