List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    [JaxLUG] [Fwd: [suse-security] Apache worm in the wild - forwarded from
From:       "Thomas E. Beasley, Jr." <beesknees () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2002-06-30 21:08:38

Hi friends of JaxLug,

I'm passing this on from the SuSE list FYI.

Catch you later,

Tom , in _ usually _ sunny, balmy Florida's First Coast.
                                                      ><> <><
With enough eyes, all bugs are shallow. -Linus Torvalds
                                                     ><> <><
This message originated from a Unix computer using Open Source software:
SuSE Linux 7.2 Pro, Galeon 1.2.0-9 Browser,  AbiWord 1.0.1 Word
Processor, OpenOffice 1.0 and Evolution 1.0.5-1 Groupware Suite. Have a
lot of fun!!!  (Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an
Apache inside.)

From: Christoph Wegener <cwe@bph.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To: suse-security@suse.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:27:48 +0200
	debian-security

Hi everybody,

FYI: here is a little summary from debian-security from this day concerning the "apache worm"....

Enjoy and have a happy weekend ;))
Christoph

From: Domas Mituzas <domas.mituzas@microlink.lt>
To: freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc: bugtraq@securityfocus.com, os_bsd@konferencijos.lt
Subject: Fwd: Apache worm in the wild
Date: 28.6.2002 13:01:32

Hi,

our honeypot systems trapped new apache worm(+trojan) in the wild. It
traverses through the net, and installs itself on all vulnerable apaches
it finds. No source code available yet, but I put the binaries into public
place, and more investigation is to be done.

http://dammit.lt/apache-worm/

Regards,
Domas Mituzas

Central systems @ MicroLink Data

-------- End of forwarded message --------

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 01:01:32PM +0200, Domas Mituzas wrote:

Hi,

> our honeypot systems trapped new apache worm(+trojan) in the wild. It
> traverses through the net, and installs itself on all vulnerable apaches
> it finds. No source code available yet, but I put the binaries into public

Wow, an interesting puppy. I just ran it through dasm to get the
assembler dump. The executable is not even stripped, and makes an
interesting read, as it gives lots of information. It looks like it was
either coded by someone with little experience or in a hurry, and there
are several system calls like this one:

Possible reference to string:
"/usr/bin/uudecode -p /tmp/.uua > /tmp/.a;killall -9 .a;chmod +x /tmp/.a;killall -9 .a;/
tmp/.a %s;exit;"

I wonder how many variants of this kind of thing we'll see, but I assume most people
running Apache have upgraded already.

Cheers,
--
        Miguel Mendez - flynn@energyhq.homeip.net