List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    [JaxLUG] Re: Banned? -- no, temporary ... but I don't have much info for you
From:       "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith () ieee ! org>
Date:       2002-06-27 15:28:58

[ This original post didn't seem to come through???  Resending ...]

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 10:34, Read, Greg wrote:
> Permanent ban?
> No more PC_Support?
> aaaaaarrrgh...

I cannot talk about the actual details because I really don't have any.
I haven't been CC'ed on _anything_ other than what I list here.
Everything I do have is 1-5 below.  Read it if you like, forget I
mentioned it if you don't.

1.  Thursday June 20th -- The formal request from the President of LEAP
with URLs to the "offending statements" in the archives.  I have
attached that E-mail below -- it's the _only_ one I have for this
_entire_matter_.  It should be noted that all 3 posts mentioned were
made on the "off-topic" LEAPBS (Banished Subjects list) and not to the
general, technical list.

2.  Normally, the LEAP By Laws require the "removal" of a member by LEAP
Exec to require a 2/3rds majority vote.  But the "mailing list
guidelines" for LEAP which allow any LEAP officer to request that anyone
be banned from just at anytime by the the list admin, without normal due
process guaranteed in the LEAP By Laws.  Both the By Laws and mailing
list guidelines are posted on LEAP's site.

3.  Mark Alexander (LEAP Secretary) and Brian Ashe (one of three LEAP
Directors) are normally my "LEAP Exec Contacts" and they had previously
told me Steve's latest "request" (he's made several over the past few
years) "fell on deaf ears."

4.  Wednesday, June 26th -- A cordial, personal phone call was made by
the Vice-President of LEAP, who is the list administrator, to myself.
He told me he was sorry for taking so long to address the request of the
President of LEAP, but he had to address because of the "mailing list
guidelines."  He told me he would only make the posting ban temporary,
just a few days.  Although I haven't seen anything from LEAP Exec, I
assume it is only going to be until Saturday based on his
"recommendation" to the LEAP President.

5.  I'm still waiting to hear _anything_ "formal."  The only thing I
noticed is that someone changed my "subscription" so LEAPLIST traffic
wasn't being sent to me.  I thought I only had my posting privileges
banned, but it probably was an honest mistake -- maybe Mailman turns it
on by default when you remove someone's posting privileges.  In either
case, I was able to turn it "off" so I could at least get messages and
respond to people who needed help off-list.

The only other thing I'm going to say is that 'm blowing this off.
Why?  Two reasons ...

A) List doesn't deserve to hear about it anymore, I've said my peace.

B) The only way to "deal" with the "issue" of the LEAP President is to
_ignore_him_completely_, both on-list and in-person (the latter is a bit
more of a challenge, since he constantly asks me for help in-person).

With regards to "B"/on-list, other than when I'm CC'ed on actual posts
to LEAP Exec, I pipe any posts from the LEAP President to /dev/null --
gone completely, no issue.  When anyone else responds to his posts or
references his name, they go into a special folder I only check
periodically so avoid "knee-jerk" reactions.  This is so I no longer
respond to any thread he is involved in, regardless of my experiences --
specifically, NFS/Samba/Servers, Data/TeX/Lyx, Backup/CDs,
Interfaces/Galeon, Engineering/Aerospace, etc...

Again, the "initial request" from the LEAP President follows.  I have
_nothing_else_ to go on besides the LEAP VP's phone call right now.