List:       java-apache-james
Subject:    Re: SMTP after POP
From:       "Serge Knystautas" <sergek () lokitech ! com>
Date:       2001-01-23 17:28:01

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Wyraz" <michael.wyraz@evermind.de>

> >> is it possible to use SMTP after POP with james?
> > SMTP and POP are unrelated... you should be able to do both at any time.
>
> sorry. my question was a bit incorrect ;)
>
> there is a workaround for the problem that smtp implements no auth:
> you can only send mails to non local addresses if you have done a pop (and
so
> an authentification) before. in that case your ip will be stored and you
can
> send mails to any non local address for maybe 0,5 hours.
>
> is this implemented in james? if not, it would need only minimal changes
in
> pop and one simple mailet.
>
> so long. michael.

Ah, I do know of this.  It's called the DRAC standard (dynamic remote
authentication control ???).  Anyway, no it's not implemented yet, but was
planned as an eventual feature to add.  Like you said, the POP3 server needs
to get the remote IP address and add it to some list of valid addresses that
last for a while.  Then the SMTP server can flag incoming messages are valid
or not based on that.

It's a bit tougher because James allows for delayed processing, so we'd have
to figure a good way to flag a message as from a valid dynamic IP address.
Hmm... that will take a bit of thought.  Other than that, like you say, it's
not very difficult.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/