List:       japple-user
Subject:    Re: [japple-user] Debugging
From:       Patrick Larmore <plarmore () saucontech ! com>
Date:       2002-02-25 23:28:04

So far, we are very happy with the Eclipse product.  It has a few bugs
here and there but nothing that stops us from getting things done.

We were previously using Visual Age for Java and liked it's heirarchy
views and strong debugging capabilities.  The debug capabilities even
include the ability to debug jsp servlet classes although it took quite
a bit of time to set up (haven't tried this on eclipse).

Eclipse is an equivalent environment although we are still waiting for
the hot swap to work in the debugger (JDK 1.4 support).
Also, you have to get use to somethings in the Eclipse GUI (for
instance-- perspectives) but all IDEs take some getting use to.

One other note, you'll need enough memory (75 M - 100 M) to run well.
 The only real performance hit is the compiling of the JSP which we can
understand.

Try it out.  If you have questions, shoot them over to us and we'll try
to answer them.

Eclipse or Apache may have a Tomcat how to now,  but if they don't
.....I would suggest the following step as a high level guide.....
1. Create a project in Eclipse called Tomcat.
2. Install tomcat right into that directory which will be in the
Eclipse Workspace (workspace directory under the eclipse install).
3. Go to the Tomcat project in Eclipse and "Refresh from local" and it
will load all the files into the project.
4. On the Tomcat project go to "Properties"/ "Java Build Path" and add
all libraries that Tomcat need to run including the japple.jar and other
jars in our distribution.
5. Drill down to the class org.apache.catalina.startup.StartBootStrap
and go to "Properties"/"Execution Arguments"
       set program arguments   -> start
       set vm argumants -> -Dcatalina.home="d:\eclipse\workspace\tomcat"
-Dcatalina.base="d:\eclipse\workspace\Tomcat"
Note: .... d:\eclipse is the location of the eclipse install.
6.  Launch the StartBootStrap class.

to shut it down.

7.  Set the same properties on the StopBootStrap class and execute it.

One other note..... on debugging JSPs.
We find that printing things out on the stream is very effect to see
where it fails.
We also frequently comment out chuncks of code to isolate the offending
code.
We have found that debugging is most aggrevating thing about JSPs!!!!
and as stated by Mark, we try to keep our JSP as simple as possible.
Also, most of our JSP is pure java and the html comes from the template.

- Patrick Larmore