List:       james-user
Subject:    Re: James 3, reliability of IMAP UID, " permalink" of email message
From:       Eric Charles <eric () apache ! org>
Date:       2013-01-08 16:57:52

Hi,

UID are immutable for a mailbox.

However, when you copy a mail from a mailbox to another mailbox, the UID
is changed (regenerated based on the destination mailbox UID sequence).

The IMAP RFC impose a long format (number) being incremented, and the
James mailbox implementation relies on it. It could be possible to
develop an abstraction layer (UUID <-> UID), but it's not available.

If you find a solution for permalinks emails, I'm interessted to know it...

Thx, Eric