List:       james-user
Subject:    RE: Storing Users details in a database
From:       "Steve Brewin" <sbrewin () synsys ! com>
Date:       2008-11-29 18:39:32

Hi

How are you going to use the extra information you wish to store and how is
it going to get into the database? Aren't you going to have to write a new
application for this, be it James Mailets or more?

Assuming this is true, you would be best of creating your own DB tables for
each use-case keyed off the same keys that the James' tables use for
associated entities, such as user. This way, you are not tightly coupled to
James' schemas which may change between versions.

If your application requires access to both the data that James holds for an
entity and the data that your custom table holds, create a view that
encompasses data from both. When faced with this scenario, people often go
for the hackier route of extending James' table definitions. This is not
good practise, guaranteeing you upgrade pain and rework whenever James (or
any other application) changes its schema definitions.

If you step back a level from implementation to what you are trying to
achieve, the group maybe able to advise on existing solutions that meet your
requirements.

Cheers

-- Steve

Hillel Bilman [mailto:hbilman@ecommunicate.co.za] wrote on: 25 November 2008