List:       james-user
Subject:    RE: [POLL] Target Java 1.5 for James 3.0?
From:       "Noel J. Bergman" <noel () devtech ! com>
Date:       2008-11-12 20:01:39

Boris Burtin wrote:

> Staying on 1.5 would ensure that more users can use the James libraries.
> I suspect there are many existing products that run on 1.5 and aren't
> ready to upgrade to 1.6.  Zimbra is still officially on 1.5.  We're
> planning on moving to 1.6 in the next major release, but it's not clear
> when that will happen.

Keep in mind that we're talking about a fair bit of time for JAMES to get there, too. \
Danny and I were talking about hoping to have a good hack-a-thon in March.

> Which 1.6 features would you like to take advantage of?

Scripting (could use BSF to support it on Java 5) and improved network support are \
ones I had in mind.  Most other Java 6 improvements are either out of scope or are \
internal, as I've seen them.

	--- Noel