List:       james-user
Subject:    James as "simple" nntp server
From:       Alexander Schatten <alasan () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-09-26 7:06:03

I am programming a tool that is working with nntp servers (extracting
data...) and need a simple nntp server locally for testing purposes
(dont want to hit live servers with unit tests...).

So I was thinking of Apache James. Now there are two issues:

(1) I do not need a mailserver; I figured I can disable the mailsever in
the config file (hope this has no side effects to nntp...?)

(2) I do not find much documentation about the nntp part in James. And
as it seems, it is not running by default.

telnet localhost 119

gives "no connection".

Now my question: is there somewhere an easy config/documentation to be
found for setting up a simple local nntp server with a handfull of groups?

thanks a lot

Alex