List:       james-user
Subject:    Re: Questions from a COMPLETE newbie in Mail Servers. Please Help!
From:       Stefano Bagnara <apache () bago ! org>
Date:       2008-07-27 14:08:23

Fodther Developer ha scritto:
> - Java Mailet API integrates with any Mail Server Technology or it is ment
> to be combined with James?
>
> In the QuickStartGuide, I found specific configurations to do, and I would
> like to get some 'quickstart' ideas in what do they mean :P. They are about
> setting the folowing:
>
> 1) Setting the IP address of my server, please confirm: this is my Server
> IP, right? Not the one from the internal network, but the external ip, I
> guess. The one that will never change.

The IP the server will bind to. So your local IP address that will
receive connections.

> 2) My DNS server: I am confused about that one, DOS ipconfig is returning it
> as a couple of IPs from my internal network, I guess. But Seems I should be
> using my domain name here.. somethi9ng like 'mydomain.com'. What should I
> use.

You have to specify a DNS Server that is able to answer questions about
domains you want to send mail to. If your local dns server do this then
they are good, otherwise ask your system administrator or your provider
what are the DNS Servers to use. (You can use any recursive dns server)

> 3) There are also some recommendations for me to scan my DNS using a
> external paid tool to check if something around MX configurations are OK. Do
> I NEED to do that o it is just a feature to check if full capabilities will
> be avaliable? What is really important in it?

If you understand what an MX pointer is and how it relates with your
mail server setup you can ignore this as it simply check your setup. I
never used test tools like that, but they help you when you don't know
the matter.

> 4) After that, QuickStartGuide instructs us to create an user to send and
> receive a test e-mail. I am supposing that the server, at this point, should
> be able to send and receive from and to my provided domain name account, so
> here goes the first question: The DNS configuration (2nd topic) is the one
> responsible for this server capaility, right? Sencond: But if it is
> responsible, Will I have to point my domain configuration to the IP provided
> in the 1st topic step also?

You will have to add to your domain an MX record pointing to a public
address that will be contacted when a mail has to be sent to your domain.
It is not necessarily the IP you specified at #1: they would be the same
only if the machine you used to install james have a public IP bound to
its ethernet controller. Otherwise you will have to deal with
firewall/gateway configurations in order to allow them directing traffic
to port 25 to your internal JAMES.

> 5) It is possible/viable to install James in a machine and use an outsider
> IP to send and receive the respective e-mails? Or James will work ONLY when
> it is istalled in the same computer provided as the IP (see topic 2).

See ansert to #4.
Also take care of configuring the "helo" configurations for your servers
and to change your RemoteDelivery configuration to use:
<mail.smtp.localhost>your.public.server.name</mail.smtp.localhost>

Stefano