List:       james-user
Subject:    Re: Compiling a FAQ on JAMES
From:       Stefano Bagnara <apache () bago ! org>
Date:       2007-11-30 20:01:12

Alessandro Delgado ha scritto:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm participating of the Google Highly Open Participation Contest \
> (http://code.google.com/opensource/ghop/2007-8/), and I've assigned to myself the \
> task of compiling a FAQ list on JAMES \
> (http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=16).
>
> As instructed, I went through the mailing list, and identified some questions which \
> are frequently asked. The questions I came up with are:
> How to use a database for User Authentication?
> How to use a database for Storing Mail?
> How to configure a mailing list?
> How to prevent spam?
> How do I upgrade James?
>
> To me, these seem to be the most repeatedly asked questions. I'd like to know if \
> you guys on the list think there are any more questions which regularly appear on \
> the mailing list, that I failed to mention?
> I'd also like to thank my welcoming by Bernd Fondermann, and say that I am really \
> excited to be helping.
> Greetings, Alessandro :-)

Welcome Alessandro!

I remember another question that we happen to reply often and is about
users using JAMES on a dial-up or another dynamic IP and having problems
connecting to port 25 of other servers or having their mail rejected by
Hotmail/Yahoo or other servers saying they are spammers.

The solution to their issues is most time to configure the
RemoteDelivery to use their provider SMTP server as a gateway.

Another frequently asked question is about users saying "I can send mail
but I cannot receive mail" but maybe this is more complex and requires
much more troubleshooting to understand if the user understand the MX
stuff, if they understand firewalls and other networking issues and if
they are able to run local checks to understand what's wrong, so maybe
we should skip this for the FAQ and maybe keep this for another task
(First Install Troubleshooting).

Thank you,
Stefano