List:       james-user
Subject:    Re: Mailing list: Batching outgoing mails
From:       "Ian Wilson" <ian.m.wilson () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-22 19:04:32

On Nov 22, 2007 3:34 AM, Ian Lewis <ianmlewis@gmail.com> wrote:
> For instance if there are 400 gmail members
> of the mailing list, will James send all of the mails to them in one SMTP
> transaction?

In my experience with James (we're using 2.2.0), James will still send
out one email at a time, creating 400 connections to the MX pool for
gmail.  This may have changed in later versions, but, YMMV.

> Is there a chance that if you send a lot of mails at once that
> the recieving server will reject them?

In my experience, we've noticed that sometimes the MX hosts will
actively reject or drop the mail while we're sending it out.  James
will stick it in the outgoing directory, and retry using the rules
that we've defined.  We've taken a somewhat aggressive stance, telling
James to redirect every minute, and that seems to alleviate some of
that.

> Is there a way to regulate how many
> mails are sent at at a time by the ListServ mailets or RemoteDelivery
> Mailet?

I'm unsure of that one -- maybe someone on the list with a little more
experience with the ListServ mailet can address it.

Ian

--
Ian Wilson
ian.m.wilson@gmail.com

Solving site load issues with database replication is a lot like
solving your own personal problems with heroin -- at first, it sorta
works, but after a while things just get out of hand.