List:       james-user
Subject:    Re: How to purge dns cache
From:       zkn <zkn () abv ! bg>
Date:       2006-12-20 17:34:08

Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> zkn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does JAMES have a DNS cache and where it is stored?
>>
>> We are running a JAMES server which forwards emails to another mail
>> server. We had a problem with the second mail server so we moved it
>> to a new machine and we made the necessary DNS configuration changes.
>> nslookup on the machine where JAMES runs returns the right new IP,
>> but JAMES is still trying to send all emails to the old IP. I
>> restarted JAMES but that didn't help.
>>
>> Ozkan
>
> Maybe the IP is cached in one of the DNS servers james is using to
> resolve.
>
> if you didn't specify it James try to autorecognize them from the
> underlying OS (/etc/resolv.conf for linux, ipconfig /all for windows)
In the configuration I had specified two dns servers: localhost which is
our secondary name server and the IP of our primary server. Strangely
localhost was the third option in resolve.conf and the first two where
other DNS servers.

I replaced localhost with 127.0.0.1 in the config file and when I
restarted JAMES it worked fine. Now emails are being sent successfully.

I run nslookup using the first two DNS server from the resolve.conf and
the result was good - the new IP. So know I'm not sure what exactly was
the problem. I suppose that James didn't work with localhost instead of
ip and that caused James to use the servers from resolve.conf which had
cached the old IP but when I tested them the cache had already been purged.

Thanks for your quick responses, guys!