List:       james-user
Subject:    RE: James running out of connections
From:       "Noel J. Bergman" <noel () devtech ! com>
Date:       2006-08-27 21:33:00

> I am running on windows, so I believe I can't use kill to terminate james.

We don't want to kill it.  We want the JVM to dump the thread status, which
is what it will do when receiving that signal.

> Are there ip lists from known spambot attackers, so I can block them?

Yes, but installing them might be a challenge.  Most of them would be shared
in the form of ipfw or iptables scripts by administrators.  It would be a
bit overboard to import the entirety of xbl-sbl.spamhaus.org.  :-)

> What do you mean with "tune the TCP/IP stack"?

See www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp3943.html.  That's for MS-Windows,
but it really doesn't have much to say compared to the options available and
described in the same book for *nix, e.g.,
www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp3861.pdf.

> How can I "fast fail" the connections?

One way would be to enable DNSRBL support in the SMTP handler chain.

	--- Noel