List:       james-user
Subject:    RE: fetchmail from secured POP3 server.
From:       "Steve Brewin" <sbrewin () synsys ! com>
Date:       2006-08-26 17:12:44

bill cao wrote:

> Gmail offers a POP3 download, but it is secured POP3 server
> using port 995. Is there a way to use James FetchMail or
> FetchPOP to download email from gmail?

Disclaimer: Below is pure theory, I have never done this. There may be some
unknown 'gotchas' lurking.

Fetchmail uses JavaMail under the covers, v1.4 in recent release canidates.
It should be possible to configure this instance to use SSL and the correct
port. The required settings are described on the JavaMail site and further
in file SSLNOTES.txt which is included in the v1.4 distribution. You will be
wanting to set up the pop3s provider.

To set the pop3s provider and properties use Fetchmail's
<javaMailProviderName/> and <javaMailProperties/> tags, as described in
http://james.apache.org/server/fetchmail_configuration_2_2.html#javaMailProv
iderName and
http://james.apache.org/server/fetchmail_configuration_2_2.html#javaMailProp
erties respectively. As already said, you will need to consult the JavaMail
1.4 documentation for the precise values you need.

When you get this working, I'm sure people would appreciate it if you would
add an entry to our Wiki - http://wiki.apache.org/james/ - describing how
you did it.

Cheers

-- Steve