List:       james-user
Subject:    RE: Inserting outgoing E-mail directly into 'spool' table.
From:       "Steve Brewin" <sbrewin () synsys ! com>
Date:       2004-07-22 21:53:40

Serge Knystautas wrote:
> Steve Brewin wrote:
> > I wrote this last night but forgot to send it! Having just
> read Danny's
> > comments on this it is somewhat superflourous, as it has
> become a long
> > winded way of saying "+1" to his views.
>
> My short answer is to say it will work fine inserting the messages
> directly into the database, but as Danny and Steve say,
> you're using a
> proprietary API instead of one of the most widely used ones
> (SMTP), and
> getting very little benefit performance benefit.

It will only "work fine" _if_ the injected mail meets all of the
expectations of the James core and configured Mailets/Matchers. There are
RFC compliance issues and more subtle gotchas such as null valued remote
addresses that cause the RBL Matcher to keel over.

I'd suffix "work fine inserting" with "fully RFC compliant mail", note that
we encounter significant amounts of mail that are not fully RFC compliant
(especially from spammers) and add that all required db columns (for which
the code is the only spec.) must be instantiated with correctly formatted
values.

If all of these conditions are met then, yes, it will "work fine".

-- Steve