List:       james-user
Subject:    Re: smtp authentication problem in james 2.2.0
From:       "steve" <steve () browsermedia ! com>
Date:       2004-07-22 10:48:49

It seems that some (many?) people do not realize the SMTP users use to send
emails is the same SMTP used by other mail servers to forward emails to
James; so, if you setup James to require SMTP-Auth for all cases (without
configuring the mailet as Danny suggests), you assume that every other mail
server in the world will configure login information to your James server.

Perhaps my observation does not apply to this questioner, but I thought I
might use it as a platform. As such, forgive any apparent condescension. I
support many mail-sysadmin-neophytes (of many Mail Server platforms) who
miss this concept.

Steve B.