List:       james-user
Subject:    mailing lists
From:       "Daniel Perry" <d.perry () netcase ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-05-27 14:32:58

I need to set up some mailing lists on a james server.

I need to be able to manage mailing lists with the server running.

I need to be able to manage users myself, but also for users to be able to
subscribe/unsubscribe themselves.

From what I can figure, there are 3 implementations in
org.apache.james.transport.mailets:

AvalonListServ*.java

CommandListServ*.java (plus the listservcommands folder)

JDBCListserv.java

The Avalon version appears to be disk based lists.  It requires each mailing
list to be set up in the config. (so out of the question)

The CommandListServ seems to be a replacement for the Avalon version.  It
seems to have a nice command interface.  Again it seems that the actual
mailing lists have to be configured in config.

JDBCListServ seems to match what I want - simple database management of
lists.  But I cant find a matching command maillet, so subscriptions have to
be managed only from the database?

Is this a correct summary of the situation? or am I missing something?

It would seem to me that the JDBC approach gives a simple config, and allows
lists to be set up /removed with the server running.  It appears that if I
wrote an equivalent set of commands to those in the listservcommands folder,
I could use the CommandListServManager to manage the lists, and JDBCListServ
to process the mails.

Is this correct? or am I missing an implementation that would meet my needs?

Daniel.