List:       james-user
Subject:    RE: shutdown james
From:       "Noel J. Bergman" <noel () devtech ! com>
Date:       2004-04-28 1:48:49

>> 1) I want to shut down james from my mailet if it don't initialize
>> properly. I tried with System.exit(1), but it don't work.
>> Some suggestion how can I do it?

Try throwing a MessagingException from your init method.

>> 2) What happens with all opened SMTP connections if I stop james? Is
>> james waiting until the connections are closed or it closes the
>> connections?
>> If james closes the connections - how, what message takes the SMTP
>> clients?

> Hmmm... I believe James closes all connections straight away, though
> this may have changed.

James closes connections.  It does not wait, for example. for existing DATA
commands to complete.  HOWEVER, James 2.2.0RC2 does have changes in the
spooler.  If there is activity in the spooler, James will let each spool
thread complete processing the message it currently has before shutting down
the spooler.  IIRC, that is the only place where we'll hold up a service for
existing processing before doing a shutdown.

	--- Noel