List:       james-user
Subject:    RE: Directly manipulating JDBC repository
From:       "Noel J. Bergman" <noel () devtech ! com>
Date:       2004-04-21 16:39:06

> I'm looking into using James in an environment with a centralised
> user database shared by multiple applications.

Your best bet would be to wait for James to have better LDAP/JNDI support.
If you need to do this with JDBC, you'll need to create a custom user
repository, or create a view that matches what James expects.

> Will it garbage collect any orphaned messages/mailboxes?

Messages/mailboxes are not stored in the same location as user records.

> Does it need to be told to create a mailbox for a new user?

No.  It will do that automatically.  But it does need to be told to create a
new user record, or there has to be one.  Several people have written tools
for managing JDBC user repositories directly.

	--- Noel