List:       james-user
Subject:    RE: One User Suddendly Can't Get Mail
From:       "Danny Angus" <danny () apache ! org>
Date:       2003-03-27 15:26:44

Enrico,
Please address James mail to the James lists, you're sure to get a better response.

> I was searching the mailing-list trying to find clues regarding the fact
> that a couple of people using my james POP server were having problems
> retrieving particular messages from the server.

> Though i was not able to identify the guilty message, it should
> be one among
> those i am sending you attached to this mail.

No attachment :-)

> Do the messages actually get parsed by JavaMail when collected or before
> sending the message to the user's POP client? Or is there somethgn else
> causing the error?

If recipient address is an invalid address, FetchPOP throws and exception and moves \
on to the next message. If a message cannot be converted into a "Mail" I think \
fetchpop would just fail.

AFAIK JavaMail does parse the message, Mails contain a MimeMessage object, the Mail \
is the envelope the MimeMessage is the whole message including headers.

> One more thing: I don't know if this relates to the problem, but both the
> users had an antivirus program installed, and it looks like this one is
> complaining about a virus in the mailbox. I was able to
> personally check one
> of the mailboxes (with my Entourage cliente under MacOS X) and actually
> removing the well-known 'big@boss.com' virus mail. After that the A/V
> stopped complaining but still the users lost their connection to
> the server.

You seem to be a little confused about the process, James receives mail via SMTP or \
FetchPOP, this mail is managed internally as org.apache.mailet.Mail and \
javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage objects. it is passed through the spool processors, \
and all relevant mailets. It may be delivered into a POP inbox for the client to \
collect.

When clients collect the mail James does not process it on the way out, but does \
re-create these objects from the persistent storage (mail repositories) .

d.