List:       james-user
Subject:    Re: james and SMART_HOST (DH)
From:       bill parducci <bill () parducci ! net>
Date:       2003-01-30 2:01:42

i'll start with a few simple graphics and we can go from there. i'll try
to get something out tonight.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Note about load balancing.  James doesn't have to refuse connections to
> cause load balancing to occur.  By setting up a number of MX records with
> the same priority, the RFC mandates that they be chosen randomly, thus
> assuring load balancing behavior over peers.

right. i was just referring to your example where load balancing was
demonstrated with same priority MX records; asymmetric MX entries will
'load balance' (failover) when the lower MX record host refuses
connections.  not an optimum solution but it will work if a secondary
server is off site for example, although only really practical for
traffic bursts as all sorts of queuing issues will arise.