List:       james-dev
Subject:    Re: work on Apache CMS site migration
From:       Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieugen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-05-23 13:27:12

Hi Stefano,

2012/5/23 Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org>:
> 2012/5/23 Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieugen@gmail.com>:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> It's been pretty quiet and I hate being the only one to reply to this
>> post but I did something new:
>
> I'm sorry but I'm really busy. I understand your feelings because I
> worked almost 2 years on this project talking to myself in this list.
> My concern is always the same. I still don't know how we deal with
> "generated pages" like mailetdocs, so I know what the new "way" takes
> from us but I don't know what it gives us in turn. At the moment I
> don't see a lot of advantages and I still see we have to find a way to
> let mailetdocs work (and other similar pages) or think to a new way to
> do them.
> I can't tell much more or give you more replies because I didn't study
> that stuff and I can't give you pointer or help for this.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear about that. Feels like we don't
really function as a community and the sentiment is very unpleasant.
See about generated docs below.

>> Work done:
>>
>> I've added most of the site directories as entries in svn:externals
>> and configured maven-site-plugin to run multiple times, building each
>> site and setting the output into the proper directory.
>
> What I don't get is: if you use "mvn" command to trigger the site
> generation, why can't we simply generate the site using the full maven
> command that also build the code and create related reports (e.g: the
> mailetdocs) ?
> Why do we need to mantain 2 sets of pom.xml (the official ones and the
> ones for the CMS)? Can't we simply build the project+site when a
> document changes instead of building only the site ?
>
>> - we have most of the docs as they are on live, the rest can go with
>> direct import
>
> What do you mean with "direct import" ?

Direct import = just copy the files to target/site somehow (using
resources goal ??) and use extpaths.txt to keep them on production
[1].

Well it's very simple: the buildbot executes mvn site in the directory
and then copies everything that it finds in target/site as the new
site.

This means that we can put files in target/site and they will reach
staging and then production areas. What I did with svn:externals is to
make the system respond to file changes (one purpose of CMS).

Basically: If you can make the docs reach target/site they will get
published. I used svn:externals and mvn site executions to get the job
done. There are multiple ways to do this.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#extpaths

One solution is to copy the old site (under www), use extpaths to keep
it on production tree until we enable automatic building on all the
components.

>> - working with a multi-module project with maven site and cms is a
>> nightmare, especially with all the modules james has.
>
> Many of our projects are multimodule and this won't change, so I guess
> we have to live with it and find a good way to deal with it.
>
> Stefano

Ioan Eugen Stan
http://ieugen.blogspot.com/   *** http://bucharest-jug.github.com/ ***