List:       james-dev
Subject:    RE: Mailet API - subscribe or miss out...
From:       "Noel J. Bergman" <noel () devtech ! com>
Date:       2006-10-29 0:37:48

Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> You guys have to decide what you want and build a consensus around
> that.

Always.  But ...

> Initially we hoped to support the mailet API but there seems to be a
> group who wants to create an abstract cross-mailserver API and another
> group who sees it as just an API for JAMES.  Prior to these concrete
> discussions you guys need to have it out over this intent, get the
> little fight over and move forward.

Actually, I don't believe that we really have a dispute of the goal.  The
question is over timing.  And, as you put it:

> With the collaboration/groupware industry heating up and
> new players on the scene this is the time to move

> Unless the direction is basically to where someone can go
> [and] get mailets that work in any mailserver then there
> is next to no chance that anyone other than JAMES will
> bother supporting it

Agreed.  So it seems that mailet-api@james.a.o is the place and this the
time to discuss what we all want for a future Mailet API.

Amongst the issues are configuration and service provision.  And although DI
is useful, I'm retracing some steps and thinking that for basic
configuration, my earlier thoughts towards Commons Configuration might be
more appropriate, leaving DI for other aspects.

	--- Noel

P.S.  I'm cross posting over to mailet-api to keep this all in one place, so
please drop server-dev@ off when replying.