List:       james-dev
Subject:    RE: Next release plans
From:       "Noel J. Bergman" <noel () devtech ! com>
Date:       2005-08-31 23:53:43

> I would like to know other committers' opinions on james next release.

I had said before that we were close, and I had wanted us to do some minor
cleanup and put out a release.  Now I feel that we are further away from a
release, since we have had so many new, substantial and relatively untested
changes.  Has anyone tested anything for performance impact compared to the
current release, memory leaks, etc.?

As for what we call the next one, perhaps it should be v3.  Configuration
files will certainly need to change.  I'm thinking of refactoring the
current config into multiple files so that we can more readily separate what
admins normally have to change from internal glue descriptors.

I think that we need to get some stability or we'll never release.  I had
planned to do a release already, but am no longer comfortable with the idea.

> If this is going to happen in september then I'm for a 2.3.0 release,
> otherwise I'm for moving to 3.0: it does not make sense to block the
> development for a release that will never see the light.

At this point, I have very little time before then, but I should have a
couple of weeks at the beginging of October.

Perhaps we should work on testing and stablizing what we have.  When we seem
close, I'll create a release branch, and we can continue development in the
trunk.  But we should probably keep experimental refactoring in a branch,
and out of the mainstream development, until it is ready to be merged in.

	--- Noel