List:       james-dev
Subject:    RE: Merging branches and IMAP changes
From:       "Noel J. Bergman" <noel () devtech ! com>
Date:       2004-01-26 16:00:39

Darrell DeBoer wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I am planning to take some time, and may ask for help, to merge the v2
> > branch back into MAIN.  Your IMAP changes have all been committed to
MAIN.
> > Do you have dependencies on changes that will be reverted?

> As far as I'm aware, the only file that should cause me grief is build.xml

Actually, I was planning to keep the newer (MAIN) build system, so you
should be good there.

> Other than that, I'm not depending explicitly on anything that's been
changed
> in HEAD since the branch.

Including the Mailet API changes?  That would be good, if so, since I can
"ignore" the proposals/ tree, and focus on moving over the changes to the
"mainstream" code.

Danny had moved some classes from o.a.james.util to o.a.mailet.  I was
thinking to keep those changes, while reverting some of the API changes, and
carrying over the accept filtering that Soren and I introduced into the v2
branch.  I'm also keeping the nitpicky package and variable sorting that
happened in the MAIN branch.  As I understand things, that is the consensus
we'd all agreed upon.

In any event, I'm up to my elbows in the merger.  The unified diff between
the branches is about 44K lines, but a lot of that is diff formatting, and
(hopefully) things that I don't need to do too much with, such as the build
system.

Changes coming:

  - Merger of branch_2_1_fcs with MAIN
  - Adoption of Apache Software License v2
  - Cleanup of RemoteDelivery looping (probably done during the merger)
  - New Virtual User mailets based upon Craig Raw's
    contribution, plus additional enhancements
  - misc. other changes, e.g., dnsjava update

Most of them are complete, but not the merger or license change.  My thought
is to finish and commit the merger first, then the license change, then the
code patches.  Right before I am ready to commit the merger, I'll tag both
branches.

It should still take me a few days to complete the merger locally, so if
anyone has any thoughts, shout out!  :-)

	--- Noel