List:       james-dev
Subject:    Re: Repositories (Design suggestion) tedious counter arguments
From:       Serge Knystautas <sergek () lokitech ! com>
Date:       2003-04-30 19:35:17

Sid Stuart wrote:
> As for the mailet developer, it makes their life simpler. Let's use the
> Mail class as an example. The class itself (MailImpl) would pick up the
> default delegation from the configuration file. The only time the
> developer would need to set the persistence mechanism is if they want to
> change it for some reason.  So to create an instance of Mail,
>

>    theConfigData.getMailServer().sendMail(mail);

This does suck.  We have to rename it or do something.

 >    Mail mail = new Mail (...);   // How hard is this?
 >
 > <this> is a lot simpler than the current mechanism used to select the
 > persistence  in SMTPhandler,

How is anything supposed to know you want this Mail object in SMTP's
root message queue?  There are probably a dozen different places someone
would want to stick a new Mail object.  Nevermind that from a design
perspective, how is this constructor supposed to know where the SMTP's
root message queue?  You basically have to make something static to
accomplish this.

--
Serge Knystautas
President