List:       james-dev
Subject:    [dev-groupware] OOogw server development (James)
From:       "William L. Terry" <bill () sweye ! com>
Date:       2003-04-30 16:02:15

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Following up on Danny's reply ...
>
> The goal of the Apache James project is to evolve James into a full
> groupware server.  The purpose of the James v2 branch is to preserve that
> stable MTA while we evolve James v3.  The vast majority of your list are
> already present in James, and those that aren't are already in the plan for
> James v3.  We'd be happy to work on them with you.

I have to play the devils advocate here and ask...  How does this
project fit into the OpenOffice.org framework?  I think some very
powerful points have been made about the James project, and I for
one am going to give it a *much* closer look, but back to the
question, how does this relate to OOo.  I am not trying to be the
voice of dissent here, rather I would like to open this up for
a broader discussion.

We also still have the much bigger problem of the client portion.
My high hopes for the GLOW project has dimmed somewhat as the time
stretches out, but it does at this point still seem to be the best
hope.  I have also looked somewhat at the Chandler Project, and at
this point I am not jumping through hoops with excitement.  I do
realize it is in very early alpha, but IMHO I am not excited about
the direction they are taking.  I would love other folks feedback
on this client.  I will go into more detail when I feel that I
understand the project better.

My questions for the James Project group are:

1. OK so you have a server, what about the client end?  What use is
    replacing MS Exchange, if you still end up using Outlook or
    Outlook express?  What are the folks that are using this server
    doing for the client end?

2. Is there a value add that the OpenOffice.org group can provide?
    How can we better cooperate, or should we just leave it at providing
    a link to your site?

One thing I must mention to the OOogw group: it seems we keep waiting
for the perfect project to roll in.  Something looks promising
down the road (i.e., Chandler, GLOW, etc) and we wait for it to arrive.
This is why I gave a kudos to Vincent, at least he said screw it, I
doing something (figuratively, not in so many words ;-) ).   On a
personal side I feel that I have enough skills to contribute to
a project, but not enough skills to *start* one. I am sure there are
others in the same position.  So where do we need to go from here?

--
William L. Terry               (bill@sweye.com)