List:       jakarta-oro-user
Subject:    Re: AW: Named Subgroups
From:       Hannes Koller <hkoller () ifit ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       2005-09-16 10:01:32

Thanks for your quick reply.  :-)

The problem is, that I actually have several  regular expressions. To be
more specific I will give you an actual example (although a very simple
one. I am afraid I have more complex problems to solve, but the
principle is essentially the same) :

I am working on an Information Extraction Task. I have a Regular
Expression which matches a Number with a  Unit.. something like   " 12
cm "  .. i want  to have a subgroup, which  returns the number part of
the match, and an other subgroup wich returns the unit part. So far this
would be easy with just the subgroup numbering  that ORO Provides
(Group1  = number part, Group 2 = unit part).

 My Problem is that numbers can also be written like this "cm 12"  ,
which can be found by a different regular expression, but then the
groups which contain the number and unit part of the match are
switched.  (Group 1 = unit , Group 2 = number).

 What I want to do is have a (probably large) List of Regular
Expressions which all  match certain  "Number with Unit" patterns,  and
access the number and unit parts of this matches in a consistent way.
(always with   match.getGroup("Number") and match.getGroup("Unit"). I
hope this helps to clarify why I need to actually *name* the groups in a
match, and can not use the sequential numbering.

Regards,
    Hannnes