List:       jakarta-general
Subject:    Re: [PROPOSAL] Jakarta Language Components
From:       "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver () apache ! org>
Date:       2006-03-07 19:31:50

Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Reposted (edited) from original commons proposal.
> Currently this proposal has general, though not unanimous, support.
> A vote thread may follow this thread if the mood remains positive.

> Jakarta Language Components will:
> - develop multiple independent components

I will vote -1 based soley on item 1 of the list for the reasons I've
already explained.  I think that having ANOTHER jak-commons is a
fundementally bad idea.  If these are truly enahancements to JavaSE,
they are one community, and share a mailinglist...then make them one
distribution and version them together.

> - each component will have no dependencies
> - each component will have no configuration
> - each component provides an extension to the JavaSE
> - code judged by would it be out of place in the JavaSE
> - a component typically has a broad API (many callable methods)
> - each method typically does relatively little processing
> - have mailing lists (language-user/language-dev)
> - not have a sandbox
> - use dev@jakarta.org ML (new) for cross group issues
>
> Stephen

-Andy