List:       jakarta-general
Subject:    Re: Future JDK features 2 items
From:       Dain Sundstrom <dsundstrom () gluecode ! com>
Date:       2004-10-29 15:09:37

On Oct 27, 2004, at 4:15 PM, Bernhard Fastenrath wrote:

> method pointers? closures?
>
> Is anybody going to suggest self-modifying java assembler code as a
> language feature?

I don't really see how you got from method pointers and closures to
self-modifying code (I see that as a bit of fear mongering).

> Is the goal to break Java and render it useless?
>
> In my opinion we can live without closures.
> You didn't have to attach "for a bit longer".

I actually love closures, and think it would be a great addition to
Java.  I spend a lot of time tracking down poorly written try/finally
blocks in people's code where they don't properly close DB connections,
IO streams, Jar files, and even delete their temp files.   A good
closure library would virtually eliminate this type of programming
errors.

Now I still doubt Sun's ability to pull of this feature after seeing
the junk in 1.5, but if I got to choose only one major language feature
to add it would be closures.

-dain