List:       jakarta-general
Subject:    [ANN] OJB new release 1.0.rc4
From:       Mahler Thomas <thomas.mahler () itellium ! com>
Date:       2003-07-28 8:17:20

Hi all,

There is a new release candidate for OJB.
I think we are now pretty complete for a final 1.0 release...

from the release notes:

ObJectRelationalBridge (OJB) is an Object/Relational mapping tool that
provides transparent transactional persistence for Java Objects against
relational databases. OJB provides ODMG and JDO interfaces.

Release 1.0 rc4

NEW FEATURES:
- With this release we are feature complete for the 1.0 release!
For 1.0 you should not expect more features to be added.
- added a XDoclet OJB Module that allows to generate repository.xml
   and DDL from tagged Java sources to the "contrib" distribution.
- added an OJB Taglib that allows to use OJB directly from JSP pages
   to the "contrib" distribution.

NOTES:
- update used xdoclet version in 'ejb-examples'
(see section deployment/'Build the OJB sample session beans')
to version 1.2xx

CHANGES:
- Enhance MetadataManager, add new methods, simplify handling
of different persistent object metadata profiles (means different
org.apache.ojb.broker.metadata.DescriptorRepository instances) at
runtime
- Provide a PUBLIC doctype declaration for the repository.xml
- add a convenience Constructor to QueryByCriteria that
   builds a query selecting all instances of a class
- add isClosed() method to PersistenceBroker interface to
check if a broker instance was already closed.
- make OJB more strict in handling closed PersistenceBroker
instances. Now it's not any longer possible to use closed
PersistenceBroker instances.
- Package ...metadata.fieldaccess refactored/changed. Now
all PersistentField implementations support 'nested fields'.
See new entries in OJB.properties file.
- added new sections to documentation

BUG FIXES:
- fix several bugs in documentation
- fixed writing to memo columns in MS Access
- fixed optimistic locking problem
- fixed jdo tutorial setup

enjoy,
Thomas